DR. GEORGE ALEXANDER – SR. CONSULTANT GASTROENTEROLOGY SURGEON INDIA
Dr George Alexander
MBBS, MD (General Medicine)
AFSA (Hepatology- France)
Consultant- Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist
Columbia Asia Hospital, Hebbal, Bangalore, India
- MBBS 1996, Bangalore University
- MD (General Medicine) 2001, Gujarat University
- DM (Gastroenterology) 2005, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences
- IELTS passed 2000
- PLAB I and II passed (first attempt) 2001
- AFSA (France) – 2007
- Karnataka Medical Council, No 47,318
- Gujarat Medical Council, No G-26307
Expertise: Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Experience of handling hepatology patients including post and pre-liver transplantation and work-up for liver transplantation at Paul Brousse Houspital, France
- valuation and management of various diseases in Gastroenterology
- Familiar with and interest in research in various subjects in Gastroenterology
- Handling of emergencies in Gastroenterology, including emergency endoscopies
- Experience in handling Gastoenterology and allied (Hepatology and Luminal) OPD’s
- Proficient in percutaneous and Transjugular liver biopsies
- Experience in interpreting Xrays, abdominal CECT scans, Barium meal follow through and small bowel enteroclysis.
- Interpreting abdominal pathology slides (liver and luminal)
- Proficient in Upper GI endoscopies, including diagnostic and therapeutic (variceal scerotherapy, variceal banding, gastric varix glue injections, duodenal biopsies, gastric biopsies, adrenaline injection to control bleeding) Proficient in Lower GI endoscopies, including sigmoidoscopies and full colonoscopies
- Done over 120 therapeutic ERCP’s
- Done over 100 esophageal stricture dilatations including Achalasia Cardia
- Done Peer Review for Lancet journal, a hepatology original article.
- Best Paper Award in Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG) Annual Conference, Chennai 2003 for ‘High rates of early “e” seroconversion and relapse in Indian patients of chronic hepatitis B treated with lamivudine’.
- Best Poster award in ISG state chapter, Kollam, 2006 for ‘C-reactive protein: prognostic marker in cirrhotic patients with SBP’.
- IInd prize for oral presentation at Kerala state ISG annual conference, 2007 for ‘usefulness of endoscopic ultrasound in patients with suspected choledocholithiases’
- Best Male Student (Menino D’Souza Prize) of Batch of 1991, awarded by St Johns Medical College, Bangalore.
- Certificate of Merit Ophthalmology 1996, St Johns Medical College, Bangalore.
- Certificate of Merit, Pharmacology 1996, St Johns Medical College, Bangalore.
1st Jan 2008 onwards : Consultant Gastroenterologist at Columbia Asia Hospital, Hebbal, Bangalore
01 May 2007 till 31 Oct 2007: Faisant fonction d’interne at Paul Brousse Hospital, Villejuif, France:
- Handling hepatology patients
- Handling workup pre-transplant and treatment of post liver transplant patients
- Regular presentations
4 April 2006 till 10 May 2007: Consultant in Gastroenterology, PVSM Hospital, Cochin, India:
- Handling in-patient as well as out patient services
- Doing diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopies regularly
- Doing ERCP’s
01 August 2005 till 31 March 2006: Consultant in Gastroenterology, Med India Hospital, Coimbatore, India:
- In charge of department of Gastroenterology
- Managing out-patient and in-patient services
- Doing diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopies regularly
2 July 2002- 30 June 2005: Senior Resident in Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow, India:
- DM course in Gastroenterology
- On call for Gastroenterology emergencies
- Worked in regular hepatology and luminal clinics
- Managed inpatients of varied disease spectrum (including cirrhosis, pancreatitis, various GI malignancies, etc) in Gastroenterology ward
- Experience in various inpatient procedures like liver biopsy, ascitic taps
- Learnt to manage critically sick patients and counsel their relatives
- Gained experience in upper GI and lower GI endoscopies (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Presented seminars, case discussions, journal clubs, radiology rounds, pathology rounds and clinical audits as part of DM curriculum
- Undertook research activities and publication in various journals (see publication section)
- Underwent external rotation posting in Surgical Gastroenterology, Pathology, Gastrointestinal Radiology and Laboratory techniques
- Underwent posting for 3 weeks each in Gastroenterology departments of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Chandigarh
2 Aug 1998 – 01 Aug 2001: Resident in General Medicine, BJ Medical College and Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- Completed and passed MD course (3 years) in General Medicine on first attempt
- On call for General Medicine, Nephrology, Cardiology, Oncology
- Rotation posting in Cardiology, Nephrology, Oncology and Gastroenterology for 1 year
- Managed General Medicine inpatients and emergencies
- Taught and supervised junior doctors and MBBS students
- DM thesis “ Clinical, laboratory and electrophysiological features of Megaloblastic Anemia in Gujarat” 01 July 1996 – 01 Aug 1997: Internship, St Johns Medical College, Bangalore, India
- Did rotation posting (one year) in General Medicine, General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Dermatology and Cardiology
- Did 3 months community medical service in rural villages of Karnataka district
- Seminar presentations in power point on topics: H. Pylori, Argon Plasma Coagulation, Treatment of Hepatitis C, Genetics and chemoprevention of colorectal cancer, Gastric Varices and Infectious complications post
- Liver Transplantation at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow
- Short Topic presentations on topics: Treatment of post-sclerotherapy ulcers, Treatment of pruritus due to liver disease, Malarial Hepatopathy, Treatment of hypersplenism at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow
- Combined Grand Round Presentation: Diagnoses and treatment of Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow
- Case capsule presentation during Annual Conference of Indian National Association for Study of Liver (INASL) at Lucknow, 2004: Difficult cases of Chronic Hepatitis C to treat (HCV-SLE and HCV-Renal failure)
- Best Paper presentation (oral) during Annual Conference of Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG), Chennai, 2003: ‘High rates of early “e” seroconversion and relapse in Indian patients of chronic hepatitis B treated with lamivudine’
- Poster presentations in conferences: INASL Lucknow 2004, ISG Jaipur 2004, APASL New Delhi 2004 (see publications section)
- Journal Club presentations analyzing important articles in reputed Gastroenterology related journals, at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow
- Regular weekly radiology presentations (including Xrays, CECT abdomen, MRCP, BMFT and small bowel enteroclysis and barium enemas).
- Combined Grand Round Presentation: Tropical Pancreatitis, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow
- Clinico-Pathological Correlation: case of generalized lymphadenopathy and jaundice in a 9 year old boy, the discussant at the Gut Club meeting, Lucknow
- Best poster presentation at Kerala state chapter conference of ISG, Kollam 2006
- IInd prize for oral presentation at Kerala state annual ISG conference, Calicut, 2007
- Regular presentations at Paul Brousse Hospital, France
- George Alexander, Chalamalasetty Sreenivasa Baba, Kamal Chetri, TS Negi, Uday Chand Ghoshal, Gourdas Choudhuri. High rates of early “e” seroconversion and relapse in Indian patients of chronic hepatitis B treated with lamivudine. Indian Jr of Gastroenterology 2003; 22(7): suppl 1 (Abstract)
- George Alexander, Baba S Chalamalasetty, TS Negi, Gourdas Choudhuri. Durability of seroconversion and predictors of relapse in patients of chronic hepatitis B (CHB) following antiviral treatment. Indian Jr of Gastroenterology 2004; 23(7): suppl 1, S5. (Abstract)
- George Alexander, Baba S Chalamalasetty, TS Negi, Gourdas Choudhuri. Combination treatment with Thymosin alfa-1 and Lamivudine in patients of chronic hepatitis B (CHB). Indian Jr of Gastroenterology 2004; 23(7): suppl 1, S5 (Abstract)
- George Alexander, Baba S Chalamalasetty, Sanjoy Pal, Amit Gupta, Gourdas Choudhuri. Comparison of tolerability, safety and efficacy of combination treatment with Interferon and Ribavarin for chronic hepatitis C in end stage renal disease, pre and post-renal transplant. Jr of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2004; 19(suppl): A706-A707
- George Alexander, Piyush Ranjan, Swati Bajaj, Gourdas Choudhuri. “Factors influencing serum amylase in acute pancreatitis.” Indian J Gastroenterol 2004, 23 (Suppl 2) A73. (Abstract)
- George Alexander, K Madan, Srinivasa Baba, Gourdas Choudhuri” “Factors predicting progression of acute fluid collection to Pseudopancreatic cyst in acute pancreatitits.” Indian J Gastroenterol 2004, 23 (Suppl 2) A72. (Abstract)
- Ranjan P, Bannerjee C, Alexander G, Baba CS, Negi TS, Bajaj S, Choudhuri G. “Prolonged therapy and failure to achieve e-Ag seroconversion are predictors of development of viral breakthrough in patients on lamivudine therapy.” Indian J Gastroenterol 2004, 23 (Suppl 2) A55 (Abstract)
- Bajaj S, Ranjan P, Alexander G, Baba CS, Negi TS, Choudhuri G. “Predictors of diabetes mellitus in patients with chronic pancreatitis.” Indian J Gastroenterol 2004, 23 (Suppl 2) A72
- George Alexander, Chalamalasetty Sreenivasa Baba, Kamal Chetri, TS Negi, Gourdas Choudhuri. High rates of early “e” seroconversion and relapse in Indian patients of chronic hepatitis B treated with lamivudine. BMC Gastroenterol. 2005 Sep 15; 5:29.
- Autoimmune Hepatitis in India: profile of an uncommon disease. Gourdas Choudhuri, Sanjay K Somani, Chalamalasetty Sreenivasa Baba, George Alexander. BMC Gastroenterol. 2005 Aug 15; 5:27.
- Sreenivasa Baba C, Alexander G, Kalyani B, Pandey R, Rastogi S, Pandey A, Choudhuri G. ‘Effect of exercise and dietary modification on serum aminotransferase levels in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.’ J
- Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006 Jan; 21(1 Pt 1):191-8.
- Ghoshal UC, Alexender G, Ghoshal U, Tripathi S, Krishnani N. Strongyloides stercoralis infestation in a patient with severe ulcerative colitis. Indian J Med Sci. 2006 Mar;60(3):106-10
- Peer reviewed hepatology original article for Lancet journal.
- Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri MD, DM, FACG, FICG Professor and Head, Department of Gastroenterology, Secretary of Indian Society of Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Raebareli Road, Lucknow, 226014, India
- Dr. Mathew Philip MD, DM Professor and Director, Department of Gastroenterology, P.V.S. Memorial Hospital, Prof. Didier Samuel
- Head- Hepatology, Liver Transplant programme and ICU Paul Brousse Hospital