CARDIAC Surgery In India
Cardiac surgery is surgery of the heart or the other primary blood vessels which include Vena cavae, Pulmonary artery, Pulmonary veins, Aorta. Heart diseases also include Ischaemic heart disease meaning diseases characterized by reduced blood supply, Congenital heart disease, heart disease that exists at birth and other problems caused by endocarditis, which leads to treating valves, and includes heart transplantation are other serious heart disorders.
Cardiac surgery is done to correct problems with the heart. More than half a million heart surgeries are done each year in the United States for a variety of heart problems.
Cardiac surgery is used to correct heart problems in children and adults. This article discusses heart surgeries for adults.
Cardiac surgery is surgery on the heart and/or great vessels performed by a cardiac surgeon. Frequently, it is done to treat complications of ischemic heart disease (for example, coronary artery bypass grafting(CABG)), correct congenital heart disease, or treat valvular heart disease created by various causes including endocarditis. It also includes heart transplantation.
Our Department is comprised of three divisions : –
- Adult Cardiac Surgery – internationally renowned for surgical leadership and expertise and a record of more than 30,000 cardiac procedures
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery – one of the largest programs in the country providing specialized pediatric cardiovascular surgery and acclaimed for its contributions to improving survival from otherwise lethal cardiac malformations
- Thoracic Surgery – highly reputed for the management of patients with lung cancer, emphysema, esophageal cancer, and mediastinal diseases
Together, the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery continues to improve patient health through continual scientific innovation, revolutionary operative care, and exemplary surgical education.
Cardiac and Thoracic Services in India
We Care cardiothoracic surgeons perform the full spectrum of cardiac surgical procedures, specializing in medically complex patients.
- Conventional & off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery
- Multiple arterial conduits
- Robotic assisted coronary artery bypass surgery
- Multi-valve surgery
- Advanced mitral valve repair
- Mitral valve repair for heart failure
- Minimally invasive mitral valve repair
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- Aortic root surgery – ascending aorta and aortic arch, including aortic valve sparing root replacemen
- Thoracic aortic endovascular repair
- MAZE procedure for atrial fibrillation
- Surgical ventricular restoration
- Transmyocardial laser revascularization
- Pulmonary surgery
- Video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS)
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery in India
Fat, cholesterol and other substances clog the coronary arteries and so the flow of blood to the heart vessels becomes slow leading to chest pain or heart attack. Increasing the blood flow can reduce the risk of heart attack.
Around the blocked part of the coronary artery the surgeon make a bypass by using a healthy blood vessel from another part of the body.
- The open end of an artery detached from the chest wall can be attached below the blocked area of the coronary artery.
- A large vein is taken from the leg, one end of which is attached to the aorta of the heart while the other end is grafted just below the blocked area of the coronary artery.
- These two bypasses ensure free flow of blood to the heart muscle.
Depending on the blockage of the coronary artery one, two, three or more bypass grafts can de done on a patient.