What is a hernia repair ?
A hernia results from the weakening of the abdominal wall. This weakening allows the contents of the abdomen to protrude from the normal boundaries. Hernias are repaired by implanting a sterile surgical mesh to strengthen the weakened abdominal wall.
Although abdominal hernias can be present at birth, others develop later in life. Some involve pathways formed during fetal development, existing openings in the abdominal cavity, or areas of abdominal-wall weakness.
Any condition that increases the pressure of the abdominal cavity may contribute to the formation or worsening of a hernia. Examples include : –
- Heavy lifting
- Straining during a bowel movement or urination,
- Chronic lung disease, and
- Fluid in the abdominal cavity.
Hernia Symptoms and Signs in india
The signs and symptoms of a hernia can range from noticing a painless lump to the painful, tender, swollen protrusion of tissue that you are unable to push back into the abdomen (an incarcerated strangulated hernia).
- Reducible hernia : –
- It may appear as a new lump in the groin or other abdominal area.
- It may ache but is not tender when touched.
- Sometimes pain precedes the discovery of the lump.
- The lump increases in size when standing or when abdominal pressure is increased (such as coughing).
- It may be reduced (pushed back into the abdomen) unless very large.
- Irreducible hernia : –
- It may be an occasionally painful enlargement of a previously reducible hernia that cannot be returned into the abdominal cavity on its own or when you push it.
- Some may be chronic (occur over a long term) without pain.
- An irreducible hernia is also known as an incarcerated hernia.
- It can lead to strangulation.
- Signs and symptoms of bowel obstruction may occur, such as nausea and vomiting.
- Strangulated hernia : –
- This is an irreducible hernia in which the entrapped intestine has its blood supply cut off.
- Pain is always present, followed quickly by tenderness and sometimes symptoms of bowel obstruction (nausea and vomiting).
- The affected person may appear ill with or without fever.
- This condition is a surgical emergency.
Exams and Tests
If you have an obvious hernia, the doctor may not require any other tests (if you are healthy otherwise). If you have symptoms of a hernia (dull ache in groin or other body area with lifting or straining but without an obvious lump), the doctor may feel the area while increasing abdominal pressure (having you stand or cough). This action may make the hernia able to be felt. If you have an inguinal hernia, the doctor will feel for the potential pathway and look for a hernia by inverting the skin of the scrotum with his or her finger.
Medical Treatment in india
Treatment of a hernia depends on whether it is reducible or irreducible and possibly strangulated.
- Reducible hernia
- In general, all hernias should be repaired to avoid the possibility of future intestinal strangulation.
- If you have preexisting medical conditions that would make surgery unsafe, your doctor may not repair your hernia but will watch it closely.
- Rarely, your doctor may advise against surgery because of the special condition of your hernia.