What is Gastric Banding?
It is a surgically implanted device used to help a person lose weight. In a surgical procedure, a band is placed around the upper part of the stomach, creating a small pouch that can hold only a small amount of food. The narrowed opening between the stomach pouch and the rest of the stomach controls how quickly food passes from the pouch to the lower part of the stomach. The system helps the patient eat less by limiting the amount of food that can be eaten at one time and increasing the time it takes for food to be digested. Gastric Lap Band Surgery is an effective way of fat reduction in those especially who have almost no chance of fat reduction in any other way.
Gastric Banding Procedure in India
The placement of the band that is the Gastric Lap Band creates a small pouch at the top of the stomach which holds approximately 50mls. This pouch ‘fills’ with food quickly and the passage of food from the top to the bottom of the stomach is slowed. As the upper part of the stomach believes it is ‘full’ the message to the brain is that the stomach is full and this sensation helps the person to eat smaller portions, eat less and therefore lose weight over time.
During gastric banding, a silicone band is placed around the upper stomach creating a small reservoir and a restricted passage to the lower stomach. The average length of surgery is about 2 hours.
The band is inflated /adjusted via a small access port placed just under the skin subcutaneous. Radio opaque isotonic solution or saline is introduced into the band via the port. A specialist needle is used to avoid damage to the port membrane. The port may be placed in varying positions – surgeon’s preference – and may or may not be sutured in place. Ports vary in design and according to which one the many band manufacturers choose to include. As the fluid is introduced the pressure around the outside of the stomach increases and in turn this decreases the size of the ‘hole’ that the food is able to pass. Thus, and increased restriction is produced and experienced by the patient.
Advantages of Gastric Banding in India
- Reduce stomach volume to about 30 ml.
- Reversal of diseases like type II diabetes
- Recovery from sleep apnea.
- Recovery from High blood pressure
- Recovery from Diabetes
Side Effects of Gastric Banding or Lap Band
- Abdominal pain
- Slippage of the band
Who can go for Gastric Banding?
Only the people satisfying all the features or majority of them are treated with a Gastric banding by the Doctors : –
- Ones having Body Mass Index above 40
- Those who are 100 pounds/45 kg or more over their estimated ideal
- Age between 18 and 55 years
- Failure of dietary or weight-loss drug therapy for more than one year
- History of obesity (generally 5 years or more)
- Comprehension of the risks and benefits of the procedure and willingness to comply with the substantial lifelong dietary restrictions required for long term success.
- Acceptable operative risk.
Who can’t go for the treatment?
- If the surgery or treatment represents an unreasonable risk to the patient.
- Untreated glandular diseases such as hypothyroidism.
- Inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract such as ulcers, esophagitis or Crohn’s disease.
- Severe cardiopulmonary diseases or other conditions which may make them poor surgical candidates in general.
- An allergic reaction to materials contained in the band or who have exhibited pain intolerance to implanted devices.
- Dependency on alcohol or drugs.
- Mentally retarded or emotionally unstable people.