What is Coronavirus?
COVID-19 is the official name for the disease caused by the coronaviruses, which is a large group of viruses that cause infection in an individual’s nose and throat or symptoms identical to a common cold. It is generally found amongst animals and seldom gets transferred to humans from animals. But a recent outbreak has caused a big stir worldwide with more and more cases of coronavirus being reported around the world every day.
Some common symptoms of the Coronavirus
The symptoms of coronavirus are similar to that of a common cold or any other upper respiratory illness such as-
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Runny Nose
In the acute case of a coronavirus, kidney failure, pneumonia, and multiple organ failure are caused. It is advisable to visit the doctor at the earliest if you experience any of the aforementioned symptoms.
How does the Coronavirus spread?
The coronavirus gets transmitted from one person to another if the infected person comes in physical contact with the non-infected person. It also spreads when the infected person coughs or sneezes near to a healthy person as the microdroplets can reach up to 6 feet of distance. The individual with a weak immunity system or old age people are at a higher risk of the infection or even have comparatively fewer chances of surviving after being infected with the coronavirus.
How to protect yourself from Coronavirus?
As of now, no vaccine has been made to cure the coronavirus. Therefore, all we can do is try our best to protect ourselves from coming into contact with the virus. An individual with coronavirus does not even know that he is infected as the symptoms are observed after a week or two and by that time he transmits the virus to other individuals without even knowing. Thus, it is crucial to take preventive measures and maintain social distancing for preventing yourself from getting infected with the virus.
Here are some precautions that you must take for preventing the coronavirus from reaching you.
- Frequently wash your hands at least for 30 seconds after touching anything.
- Now and then, resist the urge of touching your mouth, eyes, and nose, especially with dirty hands.
- Always keep a hand sanitizer near you and use it often, the sanitizer should have at least 60% alcohol.
- Stay away from sick people or from people coughing or sneezing.
- Practice social distancing and isolate yourself if possible.
- Always cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing.
- Clean the objects around you frequently that you touch frequently such as the doorknobs, switchboards, etc.
- Wear a face mask when going out or when around people.
It is best to take precautions instead of going under the treatment for the cure. Coronavirus is spreading like anything and the only thing you can do right now is take every action you can from getting infected. You should also impart this wisdom related to prevention from coronavirus to others. If you have a mild-to-moderate fever, visit a doctor; don’t wait until the situation worsens.