CHILD HEART SURGERY IN INDIA
Surgery is used to treat a wide range of heart defects. Surgeries may range from the simple, such as closing a hole or tying off a vessel, to the complex, such as switching vessels or repairing heart valves.
Many heart operations are designed to restore the circulation in the heart to as normal a level as possible so a child can live a long and active life.
Complex heart defects require various surgeries to enable the heart to work the best that it can.
Children who have had heart operations will need regular visits to a cardiologist throughout their life.
Why are heart surgeries done?
Many heart defects can be fixed with cardiac catheterization procedures, but some conditions still require surgery.
Heart operations are commonly used to close holes in the heart, such as: –
- Atrial septal defect(ASD)
- Ventricular septal defect(VSD)
- Atrioventricular canal defect
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Aortic stenosis
- Pulmonary stenosis
- Ebsteins anomaly
- Coartication of the aorta
- Tetralogy of fallot
- Tricuspid atresia
- Pulmonary atresia
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Transposition of the great arteries
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection (TAPVC)
- Persistent truncus arteriosus
- Pediatric heart surgery
Other less-common operations include the Ross procedure (a surgery to replace a blocked or leaking aortic valve), heart transplants and ventricular assist device (VAD) implantation.
Some children are born with complex heart defects that prevent one ventricle of the heart’s two ventricles from working, such as hypoplastic left heart syndrome. .
These children require a series of operations in IndiA : –
- As a newborn, the child will have the Norwood operation
- When the child is about 5 months old, she will have the Glenn shunt procedure
- When she is between 3 and 4 years old, she will have the Fontan procedure
Children’s Heart Center uses the most advanced techniques, and we routinely achieve very good results.
Surgical procedures performed at We Care India include : –
- Aortic arch advancement
- Aortic valve repair
- Arterial switch
- Atrial septal defect and ventricular septal defect closures
- Atrioventricular canal repair
- Blalock-Taussig shunt
- Coarctation repair
- Double-switch procedures
- Fontans procedure
- Glenn shunt
- Heart and lung transplantations
- Norwood operation
- Patent ductus arteriosus ligation
- Rastelli procedure
- Repair of Ebstein’s anomaly
- Repair of anomalous coronary artery
- Ross procedure
- Tetralogy of Fallot repair
- Transposition of great arteries repair
- Ventricular assist devices