IUI TREATMENT IN INDIA
Intrauterine insemination is also called artificial insemination, or IUI. Insemination of domestic and farm animals has been done since the early 1900’s. Human artificial insemination with the male partner’s sperm for infertility began being used in the 1940’s.
How is insemination performed? What is the process for artificial insemination in humans?
- The woman usually is given medications to stimulate development of multiple eggs and the insemination is timed to coincide with ovulation – release of the eggs.
- A semen specimen is either produced at home or in the office by masturbation after 2-5 days of abstinence from ejaculation.
- The semen is “washed” in the laboratory (called sperm processing or sperm washing). The sperm is separated from the other components of the semen and concentrated in a small volume. Various media and techniques can be used for the washing and separation. Sperm processing takes about 30-60 minutes.
- A speculum is placed in the vagina and the cervical area is gently cleaned.
- The washed specimen of highly motile sperm is placed either in the cervix (intracervical insemination, ICI) or higher in the uterine cavity (intrauterine insemination, IUI) using a sterile, flexible catheter.
The intrauterine insemination procedure, if done properly, should seem similar to a pap smear for the woman. There should be little or no discomfort.
IUIs can be performed either with the partner’s sperm or with donor sperm. It is recommended that the patient abstain from sexual intercourse for two to three days before the procedure. The male partner is asked to produce a semen sample by masturbation, one to two hours before the procedure is to be performed or a prior collected frozen semen sample is thawed. Only washed and prepared sperm are used for intrauterine insemination because untreated semen may cause severe uterine contractions, pain, cramps and may even faint or collapse.
Indications for IUI Treatment in india
- Cervical hostility: when the mucus in the mouth of the uterus is not permeable to the sperm confirmed by the post coital test. IUI can be performed in a spontaneous ovulatory
- In a cycle where drugs are being used for ovarian stimulation for unexplained infertility and male subfertility. Every clinic has different cut off values for sperm count after preparation, which they will use to perform an IUI.
- Inability for vaginal ejaculation as in men with retrograde ejaculation or spinal cord injury
- Donor Sperm insemination
Sperm Preparation for IUI Treatment in india
If you are being treated with IUI using husband’s sperm, a nurse or physician will notify you of the appropriate time to perform the insemination. IUI procedures are usually performed the day after an LH-surge is detected, or 36 hours after HCG is administered.