DR. M G BHAT – SR. CONSULTANT OBESITY SURGERY AND LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY
About Dr. M.G. Bhat
Consultant Surgical Gastroenterology and Laparoscopy, Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery). Obtained his MBBS (1972) and MS (1976) from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal and Mangalore – India. He was awarded the Dr.TMA Pai Blue Ribbon and Gold Medal for Best Outgoing Student of the College in 1972, for obtaining the Highest marks in the Medical career. Trained in England from 1978-83 and obtained the FRCS from England and Edinburgh in 1980.
He is in Bangalore from 1987. He initiated laparoscopic surgery in 1992 in Karnataka and is now among the well-known laparoscopic surgeons in the country. He was formerly Head of Department of General Surgery at the Manipal Hospital, Bangalore form 1992 to 2005 and was singularly responsible for establishing this department. He has special interest in surgical gastroenterology, especially hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery and laparoscopy surgery. He is well known in scientific and social surgical groups and has held many executive posts in surgical and laparoscopy associations at Local, State, National and International levels. He is the Regional Tutor for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He has been a post graduate teacher and examiner for many years. Many surgeons are trained under him.
Many complex and complicated cases are referred to him from neighboring areas for treatment. He has an excellent reputation for his services, and he has received many honors. He has obtained a Postgraduate diploma on Medical Law and Ethics from the National Law University of India, Bangalore and a Postgraduate diploma in Medical informatics from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He is amongst the very few doctors with this qualification in the world.
Medical conditions, procedures, and areas of expertise :
- General Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery
- Surgical Gastroenterology
Training and Work Experience
Oct 2009 Till Date
- Medical Director, Nova Medical Centers, Bangalore
Present Posts – INDIA
- Consultant Surgeon , GI and Laparoscopy Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road, Bangalore
PRACTICAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- May 2010, relocated as Senior Invited Consultant Surgeon, at the Manipal Hospital, Bangalore.
- First to establish laparoscopy surgery in Karnataka in 1992
May 2010 INDIA
- Senior Consultant Surgeon (Invited) Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road, Bangalore
- Consultant and Head of Surgery, Wockhardt Hospital, Bannergatta Road, Bangalore, Established the General and Minimal Access Surgery
- Medical Director, Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road, Bangalore
- Consultant and Head of Surgery, Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
- Assistant Professor, M S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
1983-86 RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA
- Central Hospital, Specialist in Surgery: 1983-86
- Liverpool University Pre Fellowship Registrar Rotation 1979-81.
- CONSULTANT SURGEON Mallik Deenar Charitable Hospital, Kasargod, Kerala.
- Assistant Professor, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal 1976-77
- Postgraduate Resident in General surgery (MS) Kasturba Medical College, Manipal/ Mangalore
- Rotating Internship,Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- MBBS Kasturba Medical College, Mysore University, India. – 1973
- MS (General Surgery) Kasturba Medical College Mysore University, India. – 1976
- FRCS (England) – 1980
- FRCS (Edinburgh) – 1980
- Diploma in Medical Law & Ethics National Law University, Bangalore – 2000
- Diploma in Medical Informatics, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh – 2003
- GMC FULL – 1976
- KARNATAKA MEDICAL COUNCIL – 1972
- BLUE RIBBON GOLD MEDAL – 1972
- Best outgoing student of Kasturba Medical College, Manipal/Mangalore Dr. T M A Pai Gold Medal and Blue Ribbon awarded for obtaining the highest marks in the medical career.
- Life Time achievement Honor given by the Kasturba Medical College during the Dimond Jublee Celebrations of the College in Jan 2004
- STUDENT PRESIDENT: Kasturba Medical College 1967-68
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER – Bangalore Gastro Group- 1992- 95
- JOINT SECRETARY-Surgical Society Bangalore-1993
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER ASI- Karnataka State Chapter.1993-1995
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER -Surgical Society Bangalore 1994
- TREASURER- ASI- Karnataka State Chapter.1995-97
- JOINT SECRETARY-Surgical Society Bangalore-1995
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology. 1994-till date
- MEMBER- NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE: Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons -1994-till date.
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons 1995-1999
- HON. SECRETARY- Surgical Society Bangalore-1996
- TREASURER – Bangalore Gastro Group- 1995- till date
- VICE PRESIDENT (CENTRAL ZONE)- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons 1997- 2000
- HON. SECRETARY- ASI- Karnataka State Chapter-1997-99
- Board of Governors ( India)- Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia-1997-2000
- DIRECTOR OF MEDICAL SERVICES, MANIPAL HOSPITAL, BANGALORE. 1999- 2002
- HON. SECRETARY – Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons –2000- 2002
- Vice President – Surgical Society of Bangalore-ASI City Chapter-2001
- President Surgical Society of Bangalore 2002
- President Elect: Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons 2002-2004
- Governor, ELSA (Endoscopic and Laparoscopic surgeons of Asia) 2000-2008
- President: Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons 2004-06
- Council Member, Indian Chapter of RCSEd 2002 -07.
- Represent India in IFSES (International Federation of Societies of Endo Surgery)
- Governing Council Member of Association of Surgeons of India 2003-2006
- I have recently Organized the National Congress of the IAGES in Bangalore during Feb 2006.
- Trustee of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons from 2007
- Organizing Chairman, National Mid Term Hernia Conference-June 2010
- Organizing Secretary, National AAARO Conference-Dec 2010 (Obesity)
MEMBERSHIP OF SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATIONS
- Association of Surgeons of India
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Indian Association of Gastroenterology
- Indian Association of Endoscopy
- Indian Medical Association
- ASI-Karnataka State Chapter
- Surgical Society Bangalore
- Indian Association Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons
- Bangalore Gastro Group
- Minimal Invasive Society-UK
- International Association of Surgical Gastro (IASG)
- Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia (ELSA)
- Fellow of International College Of Surgeons (ICS)
- Europeral Association of Endosurgeons (EAES)
- Hernia Society of India
- Asia Pacific Hernia Society
International Conferences Attended
- World Congress Gastroenterology-New Delhi-1991
- RCS Edinburgh Overseas Meeting-Madras-1991
- RCS England Overseas Meeting Delhi-1991
- IGSC Annual Conference- Bangkok-1995
- IGSC Annual Conference- Budapest, Hungary-1996
- ELSA Annual Conference- Houi Hin , Thailand-1996
- Euro-Asian Endosurgery Congress-Istanbul, Turkey-1997
- IGSC World Congress- Strausbourg, France- 1998
- Endosurgery’99-Asia Pacific Conference-New Delhi-1999
- IGSC World Congress- Nagasaki, Japan , October 1999
- Ultracision World Congress, Norderstedt, Germany, March 2000
- World Congress Endosurgery, Singapore, June 2000
- Asia Pacific Endosurgery, Manila, Phillipines, Feb 2001
- Annual Conference of Sri Lankan Surgeons, Colombo 2002
- European Endosurgey Congress, Glasgow, June 2003
- Euro Endosurgery, Barcelona, June 2004
- SAGES Congress, Miami , April 2005
- EAES Congress, Venice, Oct 2005
- EAES, Berlin 2006
- ELSA , Japan, 2008
- ELSA China 2009
- Hernia Congress, Dubai 2010
COURSES & TRAINING ATTENDED
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy-1992 -Warrington General Hospital-UK
- Minimal Invasive Surgery-1992- Tubingen, Germany
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery-1994- Cuscheri’s- Dundee, Scotland
- Fellowship-Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery-1994 Prof. J Lygidakis-Greece 2(r)
- Observer- Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery –1998, Prof. Lanua, Renn, France
- Observer- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery- 1999, Prof.Yamakawa, Tokyo, Japan
- Laparoscpy –Bariatric Surgery- Singapore- 2005
- Laparoscpy –Bariatric Surgery- Hongkong – 2009
- TUBERCULOSIS OF THE ABDOMEN. Paper presented at the Karnataka State Tuberculosis Conference 1976, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India.
- ACUTE ABDOMEN. Lecture: Primary Health Care Symposium. King Khalid Medical College Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia .1984.
- EXPERIENCE WITH HEPATIC RESECTIONS Short paper: Trauma symposium -Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 1984.
- ROLE OF ENDOSCOPY IN UPPER GI BLEEDING Lecture in the Upper GI Bleeding Symposium, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 1984.
- ANALYSIS OF GASTROSCOPIES IN PRACTICE-First 1000 cases Short Paper- Bangalore Surgical Society meeting 1991.
- SHORT PAPER-INTERESTING 3 CASES Short paper- ASI-KSC Annual conference- Bangalore 1991.
- INCISIONAL HERNIA REPAIR Short paper-ASI-KSC Annual conference- Gokak- 1992.
- SURGERY IN PORTAL HYPERTENSION Speaker- Upper GI Bleeding Symposium- ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Gokak-1992
- SURGERY IN PORTAL HYPERTENSION Lecture- CME-Madras, ASI-TSA Annual Conference-1992
- SURGERY IN PORTAL HYPERTENSION Lecture – CME- KMC- Mangalore- 1992
- SPHINCTER SAVING RESECTIONS-EEA STAPLER Short paper-Personal Experience -SSB/ASI Bangalore- 1992
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY-VIDEO PRESENTATION Bangalore Surgical Society monthly meeting March -1993
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY-VIDEO PRESENTATION ASI/KSC Conference- Hubli- 1993
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY Short Paper-ASI/KSC Conference- Hubli- 1993.
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY-DIFFICULT CASE VIDEO Presentation- ASI Annual Conference – MADRAS, 1993
- COMPARISON OF OPEN & LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY Short Paper- Annual Conference -Bangalore Gastro Group, Bangalore- 1994
- LAPAROSCOPIC OPERATIONS Lecture- Annual KSMA-INDO AMERICAN CONFERENCE -Bangalore-1994
- LAPAROSCOPIC OPERATIONS-VIDEO PRESENTATION ICS ANNUAL CONFERENCE -PUNE-1994
- COMPARISON OF OPEN & LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY Short Paper- Surgical Gastroenterology Conference -Lucknow-1994
- COMPARISON OF OPEN & LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY Short Paper-ASI Annual Conference- Cuttack-1994
- DYSPEPSIA-SYMPOSIUM Speaker- ASI-KSC Annual Conference- Davangere-1995.
- EARLY GASTRIC CARCINOMA Paper presented by my resident ASI-KSC Annual Conference- Davangere-1995
- INTERESTING ABDOMINAL MASSES Paper presented by my resident ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Davangere-1995
- EARLY GASTRIC CARCINOMA Short Paper- Surgical Gastroenterology Conference- Madras-1995
- SHORT BOWEL SYNDROME Lecture- ASI Annual Conference -Jodhpur 1995
- PORTAL HYPERTENSION-SYMPOSIUM Moderator- ASI-KSC Annual Conference -Bijapur-1996
- INGUINAL HERNIA REPAIR-LIECHTENSTEIN Short Paper:(presented by my resident) ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Bijapur-1996
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY- AN AUDIT Short Paper:(presented by my resident) ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Bijapur-1996
- COLORECTAL CANCER-PANEL DISCUSSION Panelist-Surgical Gastroenterology Annual Conference-New Delhi-1997
- SHORT BOWEL SYNDROME Lecture- ASI Annual Conference -Mumbai-1996
- INCISIONAL HERNIA REPAIR Video presentation-ASI Annual Conference-Mumbai-1996
- CONVERSIONS IN LAP CHOLE-AN ANALYSIS Short paper- Bangalore Gastro Group Annual Conference-Bangalore-1996
- CONVERSIONS IN LAP CHOLE-AN ANALYSIS Short Paper- ELSA Annual Conference- Houi Hin, Thailand-1996
- INCISIONAL & INGUINAL HERNIA- VIDEO Video presentation- ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Bangalore 1997
- PANCREATICO JEJUNOSTOMY- VIDEO Video presentation- ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Bangalore 1997
- LAPAROSCOPIC OPERATIONS Lecture- ASI-KSC Annual Conference-Bangalore 1997
- COMPLICATIONS IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY Lecture- IAGES mid Term Conference-Ludhiana-1997
- PANEL DISCUSSION- COMPLICATIONS IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY Panelist- IAGES mid Term Conference-Bangalore-1997
- UPPER GI BLEEDING-PANEL DISCUSSION Moderator- Surgical Gastroenterology Annual Conference-Madurai-1997
- PREOPERATIVE IMAGING FOR SURGEONS Lecture- ASI Annual Conference-Bangalore-1997
- DIFFICULT LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY-Solving Problems Lecture & Video-IAGES Annual Conference-Hyderabad-1998
- MANY LECTURES AND VIDEO PRESENTATIONS during the year at various IMA Meetings of The Karnataka state-from 1990 onwards.
- LAPAROSCOPIC WORKSHOPS Laparoscopic operative workshops-conducted during the year at various places from 1996.
- EARLY GASTRIC CARCINOMA-Original Article Section-Publication Tropical Gastroenterology:1996;17:174-75
- DUODENAL VARICES-Case Report-Publication Indian Journal of Surgery:1997;59:10:317-18
- ANTERIOR RESECTION OF RECTUM WITH CIRCULAR STAPLER-VIDEO ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Mangalore -6, 7,8 March 1998
- THYROID SURGERY- Audit- Free Paper- ASI-KSC Annual Conference-6, 7,8 March 1998 Mangalore, Presented by my registrar Dr. Anand Kumar
- SCALENE NODE BIOPSY-REVISITED- Free Paper- ASI-KSC Annual Conference Mangalore, 6, 7,8 March 1998. Presented by my resident Dr. Mohan Reddy.
- LAPAROSCOPIC APPENDICECTOMY- PG Award Paper- ASI-KSC Annual Conference Mangalore, 6, 7,8 March 1998. Presented by my resident Dr. Aravind Shastry. Won the III prize.
- THYROID OPERATION: VIDEO PRESENTATION ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Mangalore-6, 7,8 March 1998
- MANAGEMENT OF BLEEDING ESOPHAGEAL VARICES-Our Experience K Shirdhar, MG Bhat, ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Gulbarga- 12,13,14 February 1999
- GUT STROMAL TUMORS- Analysis of 11 cases Razick Sait, M G Bhat, ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Gulbarga-12,13,14 February 1999
- R2-GASTRECTOMY-VIDEO PRESENTATION Arvind Shastry, M G Bhat, ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Gulbarga-12,13,14 February 1999
- DUODENAL VARICES-2 CASES-POSTER Arvind Shastry, M G Bhat, ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Gulbarga-12,13,14 February 1999
- TB STOMCH & DUODENUM- POSTER K Shridhar, M G Bhat, ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Gulbarga-12,13,14 February 1999
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY- The Safe Method- VIDEO M G Bhat, Endosurgery’99, Asia Pacific Conference-New Delhi, Feb 21,22,23
- LAPAROSCOPIC SPLENECTOMY – VIDEO M G Bhat, Endosurgery’99, Asia Pacific Conference-New Delhi, Feb 21,22,23
- LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY- IN SITUS INVERSUS- VIDEO M G Bhat, Endosurgery’99, Asia Pacific Conference-New Delhi, Feb 21,22,23
- CBD INJURY-VIDEO M G Bhat, Endosurgery’99, Asia Pacific Conference-New Delhi, Feb 21,22,23
- ADVANCED COLORECTAL CANCER – Speaker for this topic in the symposium of Colorectal Cancer. National Conference. Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology Pondicherry. Sept 1999.
- WORKSHOP IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY: Faculty in Kholapur, Sept 1999
- WORKSHOP IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY: Faculty in Indore, Nov 1999
- INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION: Speaker at the Annaul conference of the ASI-Karnataka Chapter, Belgaum. Feb 2000
- COMPLICATIONS IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY- CBD Injury. Speaker in the symposium. Endosurgery 2000, Chennai. Feb 2000.
- LARGE BOWEL OBSTRUCTION – Speaker – CME, Surgical Society of Mangalore, June 2000
- LAPAROSCOPIC SPLENECTOMY – Chairperson for the session and speaker World Congress in Endosurgery, Singapore, June 2000
- Failures in Laparscopic Surgery- Speaker, 5th Asia pacific Conference of Endosurgery, Manila, Phillipines. Feb 2001
- Chronic Pancreatitis- Lecture- Kandy Medical Society Annual Con, Kandy, Sri lanka Feb.2001
- Intestinal Obstruction- Guest Lecture- Sri Lankan Annual Conference, Colombo, 2002
- Bile Duct Strictures- Lecture- ASI-KSC Annual Conference, Mysore, Feb 2003
- Haemobilia-Lecture-International Hepatobiliary Congress, Chennai, Aug 2003
- Portal Hypertension-Devascularisation- Lecture-International Hepatobiliary Congress, Chennai, Aug 2003
- What is New in Laparoscopic Surgery-Lecture-IASG Conf, Bhopal, Sept 2003
- Present Day Status of Lap Surgery- IAGES National Conf, Ludhiana-Feb 2004
- Guidelines in Surgical Practice-IAGES Mid Term Conf, Coimbatore-May 2004
- Update of Laparoscopic Surgery-ASI NZ Conf, Srinagar, June 2004
- Multiple Presentation in various places on Medical Informatics
- Hernia Update Review of Literature- AFMC Update, Pune, Oct 2004
- Hernia Update Review of Literature- ICS Conference- New Delhi, Nov 2004
- Karmarkar Oration during the ICS /IAGES Congress , Mumbai, Sept 2005
- MPPai Oration ASI KSC Annual Conf, Bellary, Feb 2006
- Manje Gowda Oration, Mandya, May 2006
- Table Death, Midterm IAGES, Raipur, Feb 2007
- Laproscopic Appendicectomy, FIAGES course, Delhi, March 2007
- Laparoscopy in Cirrhosis- Asia Pacific Congress ELSA, Hyderabad, Aug 2007
- Laparoscopy Advances in Liver – ELSA Congress Japan – 2008
- Laparoscpy Technology Advances- ELSA Congress China – 2009
- Weight Loss Surgery- CME, Bangalore 2009
- Weight Loss Surgery- Public Form Meeting- Bangalore Oct 2009
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair. How to Train and Learn? –HIS, Indore 2009
- Many more, about one a month and various levles
- ACID PATTERN OF STOMACH IN RELATION TO PEPTIC ULCER AND CANCER STOMACH. This was a dissertation presented to the University of Mysore in 1976 for the MS, in general surgery.
- CONGENITAL PARIETAL FORAMINA-CO author. Indian Journal of Radiology Vol. XXXI No 3 Aug 1975
- Duodenal Varices. Short Paper. MGBhat, KNK Shetty, Seema Seetharam, Indian Journal of Surgery
- Early Gastric Carcinoma. Short Paper, MGBhat, KNK Shetty, K Sampath Kumar Indian Journal of Tropical Gastroenterology Laparoscopy In Acute Abdomen – Indian Journal of Surgery, July 2000
- Preperitoneal Mesh Repair of Incisional Hernias, 7 year Study . Indian J Surg 2007;69:95-98