DR. ATUL BHASKAR – BEST PEDIATRIC ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON INDIA
Dr Atul R. Bhaskar Paediatric Orthopaedic & Spine Specialist
Associate Professor: Orthopaedics – KJ Somaiya Medical College
FRCS (Tr. & Orth), FRCS(Glas), M.Ch (Orth)UK, M.S. (Orth), D.N.B.(Orth),MB;BS
Fellowship Training in Paediatric Orthopaedics & Spine (Hospital for Sick Children – Toronto)
CP and Gait Analysis (Gillette’s Children Hospital – USA)
AO Trauma Fellowship (Germany)
Educational Qualifications :
Professional Qualifications :
Medical Council Registrations
Maharashtra Medical Council, Bombay, India, Registration No: 65951
General Medical Council, U.K., Registration No: 4459385
1986 – Distinction in Biochemistry in 1st MBBS
1988 – Distinction in Pathology and Pharmacology in 2 nd MBBS
1991 – 1994 University of Bombay Merit Scholarship for Postgraduate Studies
Clinical Fellowship in Paediatric Orthopaedics at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada. Period of Fellowship: 1 July 2000 – 30 June 2000.
Faculty: Dr Cole, Dr Wedge, Dr Hedden, Dr Wright, Dr Alman and Dr Howard, Dr R Salter.
HSC is a world-renowned health care, teaching and research center dedicated exclusively to children. The Hospital is a tertiary referral center for all pediatric cases in the province of Ontario. This is a comprehensive fellowship program and my work as a clinical fellow involved participation in orthopaedic clinics and also sub-specialty clinics like Spine, Cerebral Palsy, Spina Bifida, and Muscular Dystrophy covering the entire spectrum of Pediatric Orthopaedics.
The fellowship also involves extensive operative and clinical experience in all aspects of children’s musculoskeletal problems. There were orthopaedic and fracture cases discussions rounds every week and journal club once a month.
ICOE Fellowship in Paediatric Orthopedics
(International Center of Orthopedic Education)
Duration – 6 weeks in May /June 97.
Venue – Institut Calot, Berck-Plage, France. Supervisor – Dr Christian Morin, Chief, Paediatric Orthopaedics.
Here I had the opportunity to attend clinics and assist in a wide array of Paediatric operations: scoliosis surgery, clubfeet correction, limb lengthening, hip osteotomies and corrective foot surgery.
I also had the opportunity to work in the Gait Laboratory.
AO Trauma Fellowship
Duration- 6 weeks in May/June 98.
Venue – University Hospital, Homburg, Germany. Supervisor – Prof. Mutschler.
Training in U.K.
1995: Selected on the ODTS (Overseas Doctors Training Scheme), for higher surgical training in Orthopaedics, sponsored by the Royal College of Surgeons, England, UK.
Appointed as Specialist Registrar in Orthopaedics in the Leeds Higher Surgical Training Program (Yorkshire Deanery).
Past Clinical Appointments in India
Jan 1991: Selected for the 3 years postgraduate course in Orthopaedics at K.E.M. Hospital, Bombay leading to the degree of Master of Surgery in Orthopaedics (M.S.) from Bombay University and assigned the following posts:
The above-mentioned Registrar posts are recognized as Teaching posts by the University of Bombay. They involved teaching orthopaedics to undergraduate medical students through organized lectures and clinics.
Presently working as Hon. Lecturer at K.J.Somaiya Hospital & Medical College and involved in teaching orthopaedic residents and medical interns and medical students
MUHS Examiner for under-graduate (MBBS) orthopaedic exams
Feb 2009: Examiner at K J Somiaya Hospital
June 2009: Examiner at KEM Hospital, Mumbai.
– Indian Rheumatism Association
– British Orthopaedic Trainees Association (BOTA)
– Paediatric Orthopaedic Society of India (POSI)
– Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow)
– Indian Medical Association
– Mumbai Branch of the Indian Academy of Paediatrics
ICOE Fellowship: Paediatric Orthopaedic Training, Berck-Plage, France, 2003
IPOS Fellowship: for attending the annual International Paediatric Orthopaedic Symposium, Orlando, USA, 2005
SRS Fellowship: for attending the prestigious Scoliosis Research Society Meeting, Monterry, California, 2006
AACPDM Scholarship: for attending the annual Cerebral Palsy meeting, Vancouver, 2007.
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) Fellowship: to attend BOA meeting at Liverpool, Sep 2008
A brief stint at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, India, studying genetics and development of the fruit -fly. The project involved looking at the olfactory response of the fruit-fly to various chemical solutions. This research activity gave me an insight into the fundamentals of molecular and developmental biology and also experience in laboratory work with DNA staining and immumohistochemistry.
Surgical Audit Presentations
Participation at the monthly audit meeting where outcome of operative cases, complications and mortality review is discussed.
“Results of AO tibial nailing in 34 cases of closed tibial fractures” – Bradford Royal Infirmary, UK. “Presented an audit on ‘Results of DCP plating in Tibial fractures” – Bradford Royal Infirmary.
“Role to Botulinin toxin injection in Cerebral Palsy patients –Study of 50 cases – Grimsby General Hospital
“Role of Hip Aspiration in Transient Synovitis” – Grimsby General Hospital, UK.
National / International Meeting Presentations
- ‘Unstable forearm fractures in Children’ – East Ridings Orthopaedic Meeting, Grimsby, April 98.
- ‘Operative stabilisation of displaced forearm fractures in children’ – SICOT congress, Sydney, Australia, April 99.
- ‘ Operative stabilisation of unstable forearm fractures in children ’ – British Orthopaedic Congress (BOA) Glasgow, Sep 99.
- ‘Tarsal Coalition – cross leg sitting test’ – Poster presentation at BOA congress, Glasgow, Sep 99.
- ‘Vascularised Bone Grafting for un-united fractures for the proximal pole of the scaphoid’- British Trauma Society, Crewe, Oct 99.
- ‘Treatment of Unstable forearm fractures in Children- is single bone plating adequate?’- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Orlando, Mar 2000.
- ‘Pediatric skeletal trauma – an overview’ – Sun Pharmaceutical Lecture series for postgraduate students, Tata Memorial Hall, Mumbai, Dec 2001.
- ‘Open femur fractures in children: risk of re-fracture and analysis of causative factors’. POSICON (Paediatric Orthopaedic Conference of India) 2002, New Delhi, Mar 2002
- ‘Treatment of long bone fractures in children with elastic intramedullary nail’ POSICON 2002, New Delhi, Mar 2002.
- ‘Neonatal Septic Arthritis: Analysis of risk factors’ POSICON 2004, Allahabad, Feb 2004
- ‘Treatment of simple bone cyst by autologous bone marrow injection’ POSICON 2005, Baroda, Feb 2005
- ‘Hip dislocation in Cerebral Palsy: Importance of Combined Hip Abduction Angle.’ AIIPM&R meeting, J W Marriott, Mumbai, Jan 2006
- ‘Early Results of the Ponseti Technique: Analysis of 40 cases SARRC Regional Orthopaedic Conference, Kathmandu, Oct 2006
- ‘Monteigga fracture in children: Is ligament reconstruction necessary?’ WIROC Nov 2006, Mumbai.
- ‘All is not yet lost’ – Management of Congenital and Developmental Problems in Children National IAP meeting, Bhubaneshwar, Jan 2008.
Local Meeting Presentations
- ‘Cerebral Palsy: recent advances in management’ Symposium on Developmental problems in Children, Goregaon, 28 Mar 2004.
- ‘Overview of Paediatric Orthopaedics’ Borivili Medical Assocaition Lecture, July 2004.
- ‘Cerebral pasly: current aspects and the future’ Symposium at the Hiranandani Hospital, Powai, 10 July 2005
- ‘Overview of Skeletal Dysplasia’ Nasik Orthopaedic Assocation meeting, 30 July 2005
- Paediatric Orthopaedic Workshop: Management on Forearm Deformities WIROC, 2006
- Faculty for CLUBFOOT Symposium SAARC Orthopaedic Meeting, Kathmandu
- Forearm Fracture Management Pune Orthopaedic Associattion Meeting, Jan 2008
- Foot Examination in a Child Saraswati Foundation Lecture, Wadia Children Hospital, Feb 2008
- Clubfoot Treatment SAARC Orthopaedic Meeting, Maldives
- Faculty at the LTMG Fracture Course
- CME on Paediatirc Orthopaedics: Dr DY Patil Hospital, Pimpri, 21 Feb 2009
- CME on Paediatric Orthopaedics: Hubli-Dharwad Orthopaedic Association, 22 April 2009
- Faculty at the Paediatric Orthopaedic Symposium, Vidarbha Orthopaedic Meeting, Nagpur, July 2009.
- Faculty at various Paediatric Orthopaedic Courses organized by the Bombay Orthopaedic Society
- Course on Statistics and Medical Publication: Hirnandani Hospital, Mumbai Nov 29, 2009
- Organizing Secretary for WIROC 2008 (Western India Regional Orthopaedic Conference – an event of the Bombay Orthopaedic Society) WIROC is one of the most prestigious orthopaedic event in the annual conference calendar held in Mumbai. As organizing secretary for this event I had a record 800 delegates for this meeting with speakers some all over India.
- Convener for Paediatric Orthopaedic Workshop WIROC 2008
- Executive Committee Member: Bombay Orthopaedic Society 2006 – 2009
- “Paediatric Fracture Management” Synopsis of Children Fracture Management Jaypee Publishers, Feb 2007
- Ewings Sarcoma: a case report ( Radiodiagnosis ) Bhaskar AR. Journal of Applied Medicine. Vol. 18, No 8, Aug 92
- Perthes Disease: a case report ( Radiodiagnosis ) Bhaskar AR. Journal of Applied Medicine. Vol. 19, No 12, Dec 93
- Dissertation for M.S (Orth) exams: Treatment of Compound Tibial fractures by External Fixator: an analysis of 34 cases
- Plastic deformation of forearm: a case report Bhaskar AR. Bombay Hospital Journal. Vol 36, No 3, July 94
- Dorsal dislocation of first Metatarsophalangeal joint :a case report Bhaskar AR. Bombay Hospital Journal. Vol 37, No 4, Oct 94
- Large myofascial fibromatosis involving the Shoulder girdle: a case report Bhaskar AR, Dhir RS, Desai M et al. Jour. of Postgraduate Medicine, Oct 1994: 40 (4):225 -7
- Bone Morphogenic Protein – a novel protein ( Review article ) Bhaskar AR. Medical Pulse Vol 1, No 12:8, 1994
- Total Joint Replacement: an overview Bhaskar AR. Medical pulse Vol 2. NO 2. 1995
- Post traumatic lumbar hernia. Sarela AI, Mavanur AA, Bhaskar AR et al. Jour. of Postgraduate Medicine, July 96, 42 (3), 78-80.
- Neurothekeoma of the hand – a case report Bhaskar AR, Kanvinde RK. Jour.of Hand Surgery, Vol 24(Br), Oct 99, 631-33.
- Vascularised Bone grafting for Un-united Fractures of the proximal of the Scaphoid. Bhaskar AR and Kanvinde RK. Injury, May 2000.
- Treatment of Unstable of Forearm Fractures in Children – is single bone plating adequate? Bhaskar AR, Roberts JA. J Bone Joint Surg (Br), Vol 83-B, Mar 2001, 253-58.
- Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip – an overview. Bhaskar AR. Quarterly review of MBIAP journal (Mumbai branch of Indian Academy of Paediatrics), Nov 2001.
- Lumbar Disc Disease. Bhaskar A R. Medicine Update, Vol 19,No 10, Feb 2002.
- Orthopaedic manifestations of Cornelia de Lange Syndrome: a review of 34 cases. Roposch A , Bhaskar AR, Lee F, et al. Jour. of Pediatric Orthopaedics Part B, Feb – Mar 2004.
- Backpain: Review article. Bhaskar AR, Physicians Digest, Feb –Mar 2004.
- Treatment of Paediatric Fractures with Flexible Titanium nails. Bhaskar AR. Indian Jour of Orthopaedics, July 2005
- Early Results of the Ponseti Techinique: Pitfalls and Problems in the Indian Scenario. Bhaskar AR, Rasal S. Indian Jour of Orthopaedics, Oct 2006.
- Treatment of Open Femur Fractures in Children: comparison between External Fixator and Intramedullary Nailing. Ramsier LE, Bhaskar AR, Cole WC et al,. J Pediatr Orthop, Vol 27(7), Oct/NOV 2007
- Treatment of Congenital Vertical Talus by Reverse Ponseti Technique Bhaskar AR. Indian Jour of Orthopaedics, July-Sep 2008
- Chronic Monteigga Fracture: is annular reconstruction always required. Bhaskar AR, Jour Child Orthop, Oct- Dec 2009
Courses & Meetings Attended
- Workshop on Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion L.T.M.G. Hospital, Bombay, Aug ‘94
- Western India Regional Orthopaedic Conference Bombay, Dec ‘93
- Practical aspects of Arthroscopically assisted ACL reconstruction Droitwich Knee Clinic, Bromsgrove, April’ 95
- ATLS Provider course ( Advanced Trauma Life Support ) St James University Hospital, Leeds, Aug’ 95
- Ionising Radiation Course ( 1988 “ POPUMET ”) Bradford Royal Infirmary, Bradford, Sep’ 95
- FRCS Part A course Lister Institute, Edinburgh, Oct’ 95
- 3rd Course on Spinal Surgery Hammersmith Hospital, London, Oct’ 95
- The Leeds Orthopaedic Biomechanics Course University of Leeds, 14 – 15 Mar’ 96
- British Orthopaedic Association Combined Meeting Llandudno, April 96
- AO Basic Course Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, June 96
- Foundation Course in Interlocking Nailing Royal College of Surgeons, London, Oct 96
- Amputees and Prosthetics Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore Oct 96
- Instructional Course in Children’s Orthopaedics Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool, Feb 98
- The Third Leeds Practical Knee Course St James University Hospital, Leeds, Nov 98
- SICOT World Congress Convention Centre, Sydney, Australia, April 99
- BOA Congress SECC, Glasgow, Sep 99
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Congress Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, USA, Mar 2000
- American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine Sheraton Hotel, Toronto, Canada, Sep 2000
- The Robert B Salter Visiting Professorship – Dr Kerr Graham Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada, Sep 2000
- Kennedy Day Meeting. Visiting Professor – Dr Robert Bourne St. Michaels Hospital, Toronto, Canada Gait Analysis Course (POSNA Tutorial) Gillette’s Children Hospital, Minneapolis, USA, April 2001
- Canadian Orthopaedic Society Meeting Convention Centre, London, Ontario, Canada, June 2001
- Indian Orthopaedic Association Meeting Ahmedabad, Dec 2001 Paediatric Orthopaedic Society of India (POSICON) meeting – 2002, ’04, ’05, 08.
- European Paediatric Orthopaedic Society Meeting (EPOS) meeting. London, UK, 2003.
- SOFCOT meeting (French Orthopaedic Society symposium) Paris, Nov 2005.
- International Paediatric Orthopaedic Symposium Orlando, USA, Dec 2005.
- Scoliosis Research Society Meeting (Scholarship Awardee) Monterry, USA, 2006
- AACPDM (American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine) Annual Meeting Vancouver Convention Center, Vancouver, 2007
- SAARC Orthopaedic Meeting Maldives, June 2008
- British Orthopaedic Society Meeting Liverpool, UK, Sep 2008